Waiting

So, I’m trying to slow down.  Instead of working all the time – professionally, for ministries, for homeschoolers, for whatever - I want to do less.  Instead of saying yes to everything, I hear myself say, “No!”, “Let me think about it…”, “I’ll need to pray about that one…” waiting for God to move in situations instead of hauling earth myself.  Watching the flowers grow, playing with my grandbaby, and being available should my adult children want to grace me with their presence.  Enjoying this moment in time, and the stages my dependent children are in right now instead of wondering where the time went.

This is a big change for me.  I’m always thinking I should be doing something.  I could pick up more hours at work, develop professionally, and take some classes.  I could teach a class for that homeschool group, go on more field trips, and participate in another educational activity.  I could serve on that committee, work with that ministry, and help lead that women’s group.  I could take up painting and the ukulele.  The list is never-ending.  The pressure is real.  Being a ‘doer of the word, and not a hearer only’ may not mean what I’ve always thought it meant.

I really want to be listening to the Lord’s still, small voice.  I want to be intimate with Him, obedient, and sensitive to His leading.  I want to sit at His feet and stay out of the kitchen.  Okay, staying out of the kitchen might just be selfish on my part!  My husband would say merciful, but that’s beside the point.  Working is okay; I know how to work.  I just want my work to be His idea, not mine.
So I wait, and learning to wait is weird. 

In Paul’s letter to the Philippians he tells them,

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)

It doesn’t sound like the Philippians are going to have to bust some butt to get perfected.  It sounds like God has an agenda for them and will complete it. 

I guess I just want to get on board with His agenda and not my own.  It’s hard to know the difference sometimes, so I wait and waiting is weird.

Paul also lets them know how he’s praying,

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-11)

I prayed this for myself, my husband, and my kids this morning.  This is exactly what I want.  I’ve spent enough of my life spinning my wheels.  I want to invest in things that count.  I want to play on the right team.

I heard somewhere that the Christian life is a marathon, not a sprint.  I just don’t want it to be a crawl.  I don’t want to keep doing that three steps forward two steps back thing.

So, I wait and waiting is weird.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.  So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Ephesians 5:15-17)

There are a plethora of good things that need doing.  How to choose the needful, the important, the thing God has for you can be challenging.

Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home.  She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at His feet, listening to His word.

But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone?  Then tell her to help me.

But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42)

I totally get Martha, but I want to get Mary.  I want that one thing.  I have been sitting in His word waiting for Him to move.


Waiting is weird – but it is worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between