Auld Lang Syne

It’s the time of year for reflection – the end of one year and the beginning of another - the time to make resolutions, goals, hopes and dreams. I’m not really a resolutions person.  I’m more a ‘Lord willing’ person.  Not that I don’t have goals.  I just don’t tie them to January first.  Nevertheless, buying a new calendar makes me think of the year that passed…what I can remember of it. 

I woke up this morning pondering my life.  Like most people not all of this past year was good, not all bad either, most of it just there.  Highs and lows, triumphs and defeats, gains and losses…life lived.

I’d like to say I accomplished goals, met milestones, and lost a hundred pounds – twenty pounds even!  Alas, I don’t know if I’m much different than I was last year.

Hey, you know I’m just trying to survive around here.  While folks stay up late and drink sparkling something, I’m looking forward to the kids sleeping late in the morning.  A new year brings thoughts like “Here we go again” and “Aren’t we done yet?”

While thinking such not-so-celebratory thoughts I found the following to be part of my morning Bible reading – from Psalm 63:

O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;

            There are quite a few things I don’t get right, but if I can remember this throughout the year it won’t matter.

I will bless You as long as I live; I will lift up my hands to Your name…

            This is what I’m here for – to bless, thank, praise, and adore the God who created me.

For You have been my help, and in the shadows of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.

            He has been my help, even when I felt all alone.  My soul does cling to Him – I may be holding on for dear life, but He’s got me.

            My reading takes me to Psalm 139.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.

            I pray this often.  No matter how good or bad I think I’m doing, He really knows.  He is able to lead me even though He knows what I’m really like.

            Even in the introduction notes to Eccliasiastes:

This book (Ecclesiastes) shows that if one perceives each day of existence, labor, and basic provision as a gift from God, and accepts whatever God gives, then that person lives an abundant life (John 10:10).  However, one who looks to be satisfied apart from God will live with futility regardless of their accumulations. ~ John MacArthur

            I want an abundant life – He reminds me and gives me a definition.

            How about the devotional readings from my own pastor in preparation for his upcoming sermon?

This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. ~ John 17:3

            To know Him, any other goal is minuscule in comparison.

And last but not least -

For the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast the confession.  For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weakness, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.  Therefore, let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. ~ Hebrews 4:12-16

            So, what is God telling me for my new year?  Well, from Psalm 63 I get that I am to seek Him with my whole heart like I really mean it.  I’m to remember to be thankful for all God has done for me and to praise Him.  I think He wants me to remember that even though I’m clinging to Him desperately, He’s got me.  All that effort I’m expending isn’t what saves me.  He doesn’t need my help.

            From Psalm 139 I get that He knows me, that I should invite His searching and probing into my heart, to let Him in places that I’d rather keep dark so that He can lead me where He wants me to go.

            John MacArthur’s quote reminds me that my plain old life can be a sacred, abundant life.  Doing the dishes, teaching a stubborn boy math, grading schoolwork, doing laundry, going to my paying job, visiting the neighbor, encouraging a co-worker, all parts of my little life are holy when I remember they were ordained for me.  When I remember that God has placed me where I am and with these folks around me for His purposes on purpose.

            My pastor’s notes remind me to keep striving to know the Lord – that He is my one thing, the main point for my life.

            And Hebrews reminds me to stay in the Word, keep reading and studying it.  That is where God will speak to me and make all things clear.  It reminds me that He really understands me, empathizes with my weaknesses.  God seems to be telling me to come to Him and find mercy and grace.


            Bring it on 2016; I'll be ready for you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between