Reflections on a Rainy Day


It’s a cold, rainy day in Wisconsin.  Nothing like a camping trip during October, beautiful fall colors just beginning to pop, Devil’s Lake is absolutely beautiful.  Unfortunately, weather while camping is hard to control -  I’m here so it must be raining! 

My husband is such a trooper.  He works hard to ensure our sons exert themselves and experience the great outdoors, but it’s not easy when he has to drag around their mother.

Yesterday we scaled the eastern bluff, but I think I might have slowed them down a smidge.  My terrier mix, Charlie, literally pulled me up the bluff.  She’s small but mighty!  I am pretty proud I made it – not bad for a middle-aged, fat lady – besides there’s not much a nap and ibuprofen can’t fix!

Today my husband wants to tackle the western bluff.  It’s pouring rain as I write looking out the window of the Devil’s Lake Chateau – a combination gift shop, concession area, right on the famous lake.  It pays to be out-of-shape and slow, apparently, because my men deposited me here and went off to face the elements.

No worries – I’m totally okay with that!  There’s classic rock playing and coffee available, so I am rather content. 

It is funny how spending quality time with family shines a light on behaviors and attitudes that are easier to ignore in the rush of the regular routine of life.  After just two days, I’ve decided we probably need to memorize the whole Bible.  Human nature is so tiresome.

Parenting is tough work.  It’s not like I haven’t had a bit of practice.  When kids grow up they seem to find their own way – not necessarily the way they were taught.  I find myself getting often nostalgic, wondering where the time went, wondering what I missed.  How did my little cuddle-bugs end up so independent, willful, and opinionated, anyway?

I recently finished David McCullough’s 1776, as part of an attempt to get a grasp on our country’s roots during this turbulent election year.  George Washington, referring to the Continental Army, said, “A people unused to restraint must be led, they will not be drove.”

The colonists had been running their own show for a long time.  England’s control on them had been loose.  They did not form a conventional army.  Washington had to lead them by example.
 
Our founding father had a good deal of trouble with our newborn country’s army.  They came and went as they pleased, they had no military experience, and they had very inconsistent support from the people whose freedom they were preserving. 

But we won against the greatest military in the world at that time.  Credit for that miracle goes largely to Providence, as George Washington would say, and the character, perseverance, and faithfulness of a humble Virginia farmer.

Our country has sure grown up.  We have forgotten our origins, for the most part.  Instead of being thankful for the freedom our forefathers died for, we abuse it.  Like a prodigal, America slops in the pig sty of life.  Maybe we should all memorize the whole Bible.

As I sit in this little coffee shop watching the rain and musing over the state of my children, at home and on their own, and the state of my country – a country that is truly a haven of freedom for the whole world, on the brink of destruction - it would be hard to not despair.

I think of Isaiah 65:2 quoting the Lord, “I have spread out My hands all day long to a rebellious people; who walk in the way which is not good, following their own thoughts, a people who continually provoke Me to My face…”

Is there an end to mercy?  How long will God extend His hands?

George Washington experienced dark times of discouragement, and he often thought the cause of liberty was utterly lost.  Somehow he persevered, remained faithful to the cause, and served sacrificially.  He was with his men on the front lines during attacks, he encouraged them, and they admired him.  Many of them, tired of the sacrifice they were making, stayed with the army because of him, not because of the ideals they were defending.

I think we are living in dark times that are about to get darker.  It really doesn’t matter what everyone else does, whether the fruit of our labor is the fruit we desire.  Each person has to choose, this day, whom he will serve – we all serve somebody.  One person with character that yields himself to the Lord to be a vessel He can use will make a difference.  It did in 1776, and it can today.

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:1-2).

We will all give an account before God about how we lived our life.  We won’t be able to blame our parents, our companions, our country, or whoever runs for president for what we did or did not do.  We will either stand on grace or stand on nothing.


Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair; the rest is in the hands of God.  ~ George Washington


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between