A Meditation on Psalm 23

The trouble with getting up in the morning is that one has to do it every day. As my wonderful co-workers have been apt to say, “Same ___ different day.” I’m thinking this sentiment is probably the number one reason some folks lament “adulting.”

The tiresomeness of the same job, same problems, same relationships, same sins…We know what to expect, so why get out of bed? Life gets old, and we get disappointed.

As Robert Service laments in his poem The Quitter, life isn’t always a bowl of cherries…***

When you're lost in the Wild, and you're scared as a child,
And Death looks you bang in the eye,
And you're sore as a boil, it's according to Hoyle
To cock your revolver and . . . die.
But the Code of a Man says: "Fight all you can,"
And self-dissolution is barred.
In hunger and woe, oh, it's easy to blow . . .
It's the hell-served-for-breakfast that's hard.

"You're sick of the game!" Well, now, that's a shame.
You're young and you're brave and you're bright.
"You've had a raw deal!" I know -- but don't squeal,
Buck up, do your damnedest, and fight.
It's the plugging away that will win you the day,
So don't be a piker, old pard!
Just draw on your grit; it's so easy to quit:
It's the keeping-your-chin-up that's hard.

It's easy to cry that you're beaten -- and die;
It's easy to crawfish and crawl;
But to fight and to fight when hope's out of sight --
Why, that's the best game of them all!
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try -- it's dead easy to die,
It's the keeping-on-living that's hard.

Is that what makes us dissatisfied with our status quo?  Besides hanging on by our teeth with tenacity, are we missing something?

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want…

I’ve always heard that sheep aren’t very smart animals – they need to be led, otherwise they could find themselves in dire situations. Following each other off a cliff, say – or drowning in shallow water – or being wolf lunch…How good are we at following our Leader? What does it mean to not want?

According to Webster to want is to lack something, to have a deficiency, inadequacy, or deprivation. If the Lord is my shepherd, my pilot, my guide, my counselor – how can I want?

As the psalmist says in Psalm 84:11, For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord gives grace and glory; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Why is it so easy to be dissatisfied, disappointed, and discontent? It couldn’t be because the Lord is not leading – it could only be that we aren’t very good at following. Prone to wander… true of sheep, true of people…we are a distracted bunch – selfish and impatient. The things we seek after seldom satisfy – they weren’t meant to.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.

What if the pasture we’re lying in isn’t the one we wanted and the quiet waters nearby smell like fish? Is it reality or our perspective of that reality that causes our restlessness? Being satisfied with our lot in life has more to do with our attitude and our trust than with our circumstances.

He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake…

What if where we are in life is where He has put us for His own purpose and His own glory, and not necessarily for our own comfort and fulfillment? What if instead of seeking escape, we dwell where we are and seek His face? What made us think that living as a Christian would guarantee an easy trouble free life? Jesus did say in John 16:33b, In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

A rod is for correction and defense, and a staff for guidance and support while walking – will we receive those from our Shepherd’s hand? Will we submit to His provision even if it’s not exactly what we wanted? Will we walk the narrow road following in His steps?

“I know of nothing which so stimulates my faith in my Heavenly Father as to look back and reflect on His faithfulness to me in every crisis and every chilling circumstance of life. Over and over He has proved His care and concern for my welfare. Again and again I have been conscious of the Good Shepherd’s guidance through dark days and deep valleys.”*

He is never not in control of the circumstances and events in the lives of His own. We can trust Him; He is faithful.

You have prepared a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows.

No one wants enemies. Most folks want to be loved, appreciated, and cared about. Enemies can appear from unexpected locations – sometimes we get our own Judas. We do have a spiritual enemy always seeking someone to devour.  No fear, our Shepherd is always ready – He knows what we need. Enemies don't bother Him - they can't interfere with His plans. Will we acknowledge how dependent and blessed we are in His care? Will we embrace the overflow of blessing that He has provided for us and rest in that provision?

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

The reality of a promise that is true regardless of how we feel in the moment, regardless of our circumstances - the hope of someday seeing as He does and being beyond satisfied to dwell in His house – this is goodness and mercy that surrounds us as long as we live.

In Audrey Assad’s beautiful song, I Shall Not Want, she gracefully illumines what it means to “not want” - to choose to not want.

From the love of my own comfort
From the fear of having nothing
From a life of wordly passions
Deliver me O God
From the need to be understood
And from the need to be accepted
From the fear of being lonely
Deliver me O God
Deliver me O God
And I shall not want, no I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness, I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness, I shall not want
From the fear of serving others
Oh, and from the fear of death or trial
And from the fear of humility
Deliver Me O God
And I shall not want, no, I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness I shall not want
No, I shall not want, no, I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness I shall not want
I shall not want
I shall not want**
           
We always get to choose – how can we want when we already have all we will ever need?


*Phillip Keller, from A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
***http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/life-is-just-a-bowl-of-cherries
**I Shall Not Want, by Audrey Assad/Bryan Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Td9cZajyE


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between