Random thoughts for a Sunday


One of my tall dark and handsome sons was combing his luscious hair while looking in the mirror as most of us were walking out the door to go to church – he did it again while gazing at the living room mirror on the way to the car – then again in the reflection of the van window upon arrival. This is the same son that not too long ago had to be deprived food unless he showered and be commanded to apply deodorant.

How can the son who never puts anything away and whose room looks like the aftermath of a tornado be so concerned with other people’s inability to put their things away and will search the house for the owner of stray underwear he found in the bathroom?

Why does someone knock on the bathroom door as soon as you enter the room?

After spending the last thirty-some years of my life reading aloud to my children from various quality children’s literature, I cannot see a train without saying in my head, but often out loud, “A train, a train, would you, could you on a train?”

Normally, making decisions is not difficult for me. Some things seem obvious. However, “to act in haste and repent in leisure” has not been a foreign saying in my experience. Like marrying my first husband, for instance – it took me one month to make that decision and seven years to get over it.

Why would we bathe, do laundry, or dishes without soap? If we must be wet can’t we have suds?

Going to memorial services for friends that are my age or younger drives home the premise that none of us are promised tomorrow. We need to keep short accounts and be good to each other – we may not meet again.

Why, with all the government regulations with which businesses are subject, would an experimental walking bridge be stress tested, but the road underneath it not be closed to traffic?

Folks gossip – to their own detriment and to the detriment of others. As someone once said, “If you are not part of the problem or part of the solution – shut it.” I probably paraphrased there – but you get the idea.

How can it be no one’s turn to do the dishes when the sink is full, and the person that’s asked did them last time?

If the statement, “I do all the work around here!” is true, why is my house still a mess?

Where does one find a source for news without being subjected to virulent bias, exaggeration, and propaganda?

I lost my dad thirty-six years ago, yet when I talk about him, I still cry. Grief doesn’t go away, it just plays hide and seek.

After twenty-two years of homeschooling, I would rather have a root canal than grade papers.

I cannot seem to be consistent enough to follow a diet or maintain an exercise program, but I have had a daily quiet time for thirty-nine years, go to church most Sundays, and keep my word. This doesn’t get me anywhere with my doctor, but it’s something.

We started the process of looking for a new van. The van we test drove made me feel claustrophobic. It is not a trivial thing to go from a twelve passenger, one ton vehicle to a mini-van. I told my husband he better look for a truck. I need a vehicle that respects my space.

People are funny, but not always in a comical sort of way.

The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are bold as a lion (Proverbs 28:1). If you haven’t done anything wrong, stand your ground.

God makes a home for the lonely; He leads out the prisoners into prosperity, only the rebellious dwell in a parched land (Psalm 68:6). Don’t stay miserable because you’re too proud and stubborn to surrender.

Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burden, the God who is our salvation (Psalm 68:19). In case it’s not clear, we can’t do this life on our own.

He who separates himself seeks his own desire, he quarrels against all sound wisdom (Proverbs 18:1). Freedom is not license and license is not freedom.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more (Luke 12:48b). Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin. (James 4:17). With blessing comes responsibility.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men.

The Lord is near (Philippians 4:4).

We’re not alone.

Rest



Comments

  1. Praise God for your wisdom and encouragement today! Always a blessing and always needed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between