His Grace is Sufficient

 

His Grace in Sufficient

 

So, the other day I had a particularly frustrating day at work – not a new thing, not an everyday thing – but certainly not an isolated thing.

I came home to an ongoing conflict – again not a new thing, not an everyday thing – but certainly not an isolated thing.

I’ve seen it before… maybe different faces and different situations – but basically the same show, different day…

And I was tired… tired of foolishness, tired of selfishness, tired of impatience and anger… tired of sin that continually raises its ugly head in my life, in my home, in the workplace, and in the world at large.

And I heard myself say – “I wish I had a different life.”

Now this made me pause, because I know I’m blessed. I’m thankful for the life the Lord has given me. I love my husband and my children. And I am thankful for my job.

But I said it anyway...

Sometimes that’s how life is – we get tired of it.

Now I’m not a very astute person – sometimes I have to be physically sick to realize I’m upset about something, but God knows me better than I know myself. He knows what I need – and provides it – before I know I need it.

So, before this mini-crisis the Lord let me hear things I needed.

A Christian band called Rend Collective came out with a new album recently that I stumbled upon and it has really blessed me. One song on the album is called Boast in the Cross

It’s always been the framework I’ve been leaning on

It’s stabilized my life when I came stumbling home

It’s been tested many times

But it is standing strong

All my pride is in the cross

It’s the anchor of my universe, my gravity

And my whole world revolves around the mystery

It’s the focus of my heart it is the centerpiece

All of my pride is in the cross…

I’m not ashamed of the gospel

I’m not ashamed of revival

I will boast in the cross

I will boast in the cross

I’m not ashamed of my saviour

I’m not ashamed of his power

I will boast in the cross

I will boast in the cross

 

I thought on this song and thought the Lord has to be enough – even when I am dissatisfied with life. He is true despite my feelings.

I went to bed that night pretty miserable and the next morning I did what I always do – I opened my journal and my Bible – and I asked the Lord to show me something – to show me how to navigate this feeling because the reality of who He is applies during good times and bad -He’s the same God and His Word has to be true for me in this – this current trial, crisis, or whatever I’m experiencing.

 

1.1.  Having a regular time in God’s Word is how we hear from Him.

 

So, the study I’m using with my reading currently took me to 2 Corinthians 12 – where Paul is discussing his “thorn in the flesh” that the Lord gave him to keep him from exalting himself. Paul prayed three times for it to be removed – but God said “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Paul goes on to say, “Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Cor 12:8-10).

A couple things to notice about this passage. God sent Paul the visions and the revelations and He sent him the pain. Suffering is never for nothing – we may not understand why the answer to our prayer is “no” or seems to be not answered – but God has a purpose for us – and the purpose is good because He is good. It says the thorn was sent to keep Paul from exalting himself – pride is destructive and God doesn’t want to see it in us. Paul says he’s content in weaknesses, insults, distresses, persecutions and difficulties – he’s willing to accept whatever comes from God’s hand – it’s an attitude of submission. He’s not seeking escape or relief no matter how attractive that might be.

 

2.God cares more about our humility than our comfort.

 

John MacArthur says, “When God declared to Paul…’My grace is sufficient for you,’ He affirmed the total sufficiency of His grace for every need of life… God’s grace was sufficient for the deepest pain Paul (or any other believer) could ever experience.”

I think part of the struggle with believing God is enough – that His grace is sufficient – is that we think we can fix it. We think we know. We think we are in control. We are self-sufficient and seek to be  independent. The idea of being content in our weaknesses, in disappointments, and seeming unanswered prayer is uncomfortable. I know I want a timetable and a happy ending. I’m not a fan of conflict – sometimes I would rather folks just be quiet than have to deal with their issues.

 

3.3.  God’s grace won’t be sufficient for us as long as we think we are self-sufficient.

 

Then my reading took me to 1 Peter 5 – Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. To Him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen (1 Peter 5:6-11).

 

4.  The process to help us rely on the sufficiency of God’s grace:

a.  Humble yourself

b.  Trust Him to lift you up

c.  Give Him all your concerns

d.  Remember He cares

e.  Be sober and alert

f.  Resist and stand firm

g.  Remember you are not alone

h.  Trust God’s timetable

i.   He will complete what He started in you

 

The opposite of self-sufficiency would be humility, wouldn’t it? Submitting to whatever the Lord has for me – whether I see that as good or bad – would be humbling myself under His mighty hand. (a)

The timing of my relief is also up to Him – and He will accomplish His perfect work in me in His time. (b, h, i)

In the meantime – the process – I can tell Him all my concerns and leave them with Him because He cares for me. I’m not alone in my struggle – we – the community of believers - need to be open with each other and encourage one another. (c, d, g)

Be aware we are in a battle – be sober and alert - stand firm on your faith and resist the lies of the world, the devil, and those that pop into your head unbidden. (e, f)

Finally, this psalm came to my remembrance from my reading few days before (Psalm 46).

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;

Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy dwelling places of the Most High.

God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns.

The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered; He raised His voice, the earth melted.

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

Come, behold the works of the LORD, who has wrought desolations in the earth. He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariots with fire.

“Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

 

5.  Remember who our God is – He is sovereign over climate and catastrophe – the natural world, the world He made. And He is sovereign over nations and peoples whether they acknowledge Him or not – the world we’ve made.

He is general of the army of heaven and He is with us – He is our Mighty Fortress.

 

I think He can handle my problems.

 

One more song from Rend Collective – Hallelujah Anyway

I’ll find a way to praise You

From the bottom of my broken heart

‘Cause I think I’d rather strike a match than curse the dark

Yeah I’ll find a way to thank You

Though the bitterness is real and hard

‘Cause I’d rather take a chance on hope than fall apart

I don’t think I’m ready to surrender to the dark

I hear a hymn of triumph in the wilderness of my lament

In the lowlands or the mountain tops, I won’t forget

All that goodness that You have shown me

The promises that You have kept

There’s better days on the horizon up ahead

Even if my daylight never dawns

Even if my breakthrough never comes

Even if I’ll fight to bring you praise

Even if my dreams fall to the ground

Even if I’m lost, I know I’m found

Even if my heart will somehow say – Hallelujah anyway

Let it rise, let it rise

In the dark, or the light

Oh my soul stand and fight

If you’ve got a song to sing, let it rise

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zkFvonLoRU&ab_channel=RendCollective

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acM0WeAycBI&ab_channel=RendCollective




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between