Uuh Got

 

“Uuh Got” A phrase my mom used to say – It’s actually “Oh God” in a French accent with a hint of despair, resignation, and inevitability wrapped up in two words summing up life in the moment.

It’s really quite French if you think about it…

It’s amazing how apropos this two-word phrase from the annals of my murky memory have become.

I can hear her saying it – and I say it like she did in memory of her.

I view it as a prayer – sometimes it’s the best prayer I got.

Many a time there are literally no words – if I can say literally.

Things have been heavy lately – personally, professionally, in the world at large. You know, life isn’t easy on a good day – and it seems there has been a concerted effort to make everything more difficult.

I’ve been getting comfort from Psalm 62 for the last few days. It was written by David – not sure when. It might have been when he was running from his son Absalom, who was stealing the kingdom and planning to kill him – mighty big fail and disappointment for a parent, let alone a king.

But whatever David’s situation, here’s how he opens the psalm:

My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken (62:1-2).

It seems like a good model – whatever the situation, whatever the circumstance, whatever the storm – wait for God only.

In silence – that’s no easy feat. There is plenty of fodder on so many levels to discuss. It makes me wonder how much the endless talking about things helps.

He repeats this again in the middle of the psalm with a little variation:

My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken (62:5-6).

The first time he says it he’s declaring he will wait for the Lord – the second time he’s reminding himself to wait for the Lord.

We need to be reminded, don’t we?

There is only one Savior – one hope – one rock – one place to stand where the ground won’t shift. We need to remember and hold on.

He, alone, will provide salvation.

Most of us probably have experience with disappointments, don’t we?

Our leaders may think they can save us from viruses and weather and poverty and violence and injustice – but they can’t. They seem to do a good job making many of those things worse – it even seems like they are making them worse on purpose.

Except weather - No one controls that, except God – regardless of what ex-bartenders and “scientists” think.

In verse 4, David describes his enemies as delighting in falsehood. I’d say our enemies today are legion – that’s how many seem to delight in falsehood. Like most liars the stories change daily – even the prevaricator struggles to keep up.

In verse 9, he describes them – Men of low degree are only vanity and men of rank are a lie; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than breath.

They come in all varieties of positions and rank, but they are less than hot air - nothing really.

On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us (62:7-8).

It’s really been hard lately. There isn’t much left in the world to rely on – but that’s to be expected, I guess.

I’m thankful I stand on a solid rock that never shifts. That I can pour out my heart to One who hears. That He is worthy of our trust and is a refuge for us. Our strength when we have none and even when we think we do.

Once God has spoken; twice I have heard this: that power belongs to God; and lovingkindness is Yours, O Lord, for You recompense a man according to his work (62:11-12).

God is in control – power and mercy are His. He will repay the wicked for all the damage they’ve done and bestow mercy on others accordingly.

Pray for mercy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between