Downhill Only

My husband likes to go on family bike rides.  I guess I like it too.  The only problem is that I like trails that are in the shade, going downhill with the wind at my back, and no busy streets to cross.  For some reason these trails are hard to find.  I just don’t enjoy becoming red in the face and short of breath, but I hear it’s good for me.

            When we started our bike riding adventures a few years ago, I hadn’t ridden a bike in about eleven years.  When my youngest heard this, he was appalled.  After seeing me ride, he stated rather emphatically, “Well mom, you’re doing pretty well – I wouldn’t have believed it unless I seen it!”

            Another one of my sons is very methodical and orderly.  He likes routine with nary a variation or shifting shadow.  When he rides his bike, he peddles at a steady, unwavering pace regardless of terrain.  I truly don’t know how he accomplishes this.  Everybody knows one should not be behind mom because she’s slow, old, out-of-shape… you get the idea.  Well trained in trail etiquette, he will yell out, “On your left!” before passing.  But even I can keep up with the big boys on a straight away.  So on one such stretch consistent and steady yelled out, “On your left…..in a minute!”  It’s expected that I would slow down and move over, right?

            The other day we did a ten mile ride.  It took me two days to recover.  The sore muscles kept me awake all night.  It’s a strange thing to find one self physically weary yet unable to sleep.  What does it take to ensure a good night’s rest after fifty anyway?

            There are many things that don’t seem easy after fifty.  There are quite a few that don’t seem easy anytime.  Maybe we shouldn’t hope for easy.  This life doesn’t give us a smooth sailing, shady downhill course very often.  There aren’t very many folks standing in line to pat us on the back if we do well or say, ‘you go, girl’ when we get back on that bike.  As I’ve heard, “Well, sir there’s no rest for the wicked and the righteous don’t need none,”* right?

But Jesus said, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and You will find rest for Your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light,” Matthew 11:28-30.

What an invitation – just come, He says.  Draw near, move closer, approach, travel toward – Come to Jesus.  He really is unbelievably kind to those who come.

After Herod murdered John the Baptist, this happened.

Now when Jesus heard about John, He withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself; and when the people heard of this, they followed Him on foot from the cities.  When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick, Matthew 14:13-14.

I wonder if Jesus was reminded of what he would soon suffer and just needed time to grieve for John when He went to that secluded spot.  Whatever He had intended – the people came and He ministered to them.  He even fed them (Matthew 14:15-21).

They continue to travel – Jesus even walks on water – and this happens.

When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret.  And when the men of that place recognized Him, they sent word into all that surrounding district and brought to Him all who were sick; and they implored Him that they might just touch the fringe of His cloak; and as many as touched it were cured, Matthew 14:34-36.

They came – ‘could we just touch you?’  Kind of weird – but Jesus said yes, and they were healed.  “Come to Me,” He says.

Then for some reason Jesus leaves Israel and this happens.

Jesus went away from there, and withdrew into the district of Tyre and Sidon.  And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed.”  But He did not answer her a word.  And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, “Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us.”  But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”  But she came and began to bow down before Him, saying, “Lord, help me!”  And He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.”  But she said, “Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”  Then Jesus said to her, “O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish.”  And her daughter was healed at once, Matthew 15:21-28.

Jesus was on a mission – Jews first, but this woman came and He loved her.  He engaged her – He gave her the opportunity to express saving faith.  He didn’t have to, but she came and He saved.  Oh, how He loves!!

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and You will find rest for Your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Where else would you rather go?


*from the Mitford series by Jan Karon      

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Between